Friday, August 24, 2007

Heyy. I'm flying off to Shanghai tomorrow morning. I've never been there before, and I am somewhat excited. But it also means that I will have to say an early goodbye to some people, who will have left by the time I return on 30 Aug.

Went to send Grace off on 12 Aug, together with the breakfastablets. Sat around on the airport floor to write messages in and decorate her farewell card. There were many people sending Grace off, and it felt rather weird to say goodbye and know that it will be months before we see each other again. Yet this is only one of the first farewells, and many more will inevitably follow.

Gah. I guess a change of environment is always good. Rotting at home does get a little monotonous after a while. Sometimes moving a little apart is good for relationships too. Getting away from each other and gaining some new experience elsewhere will add a little spice to the conversation. Or else we will all eventually bore each other to death talking about the same things over and over again.

Part of me looks forward to this change. The interesting array of courses, the independence of living alone, a new city to explore, and even the presence of four different seasons should be enough to make me feel like time couldn't move quickly enough. But there are still moments when I wish these carefree days could go on forever. We'll never have another half as long, or half as empty of responsibilities. And then there's all the people and things I love: family members, steadfast friends who have cheered me on when I felt depressed, kites with long swirly tails that I see in the sky over the field when I walk home from the MRT station, even the squishy toys that take up space on my bed. Gah. It's so difficult to let go.

I know it's only four years, with lots of breaks in between. And I want to meet people and explore and study and grow. But what will I do without all the friends I've had since ever so long ago? Who am I going to SMS when I'm depressed? Who is going to answer my cat-greeting with a meow? Who will I skip down the corridor with when I'm feeling hyper? --

Haha. I think my mood has passed and I am once again my ridiculous self. I'm not sure if that is a good thing. ^^;; But it's true that I will really miss everyone when I go to Uni in September. We must all keep in touch no matter how busy we become. *hugs* Love you guys!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyy! have fun in shanghai =) visiting relatives? methinks ur post really captures the mixed feelings many of us are experiencing around this period, as ppl gradually fly off to new beginnings.. shall enjoy what remains of this phase of life as we all brace ourselves for new surroundings and a new life altogether! -yx

8/25/2007 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey gao yuan...it does seem very depressing to watch your friends leave only to know that very soon it would be your turn...if u need anyone to talk to when you are depressed, dont hesitate to send me a message on msn - u can send it even if i'm offline and i will definitely reply to the msg...gosh. you will be the mext one amg my close friends' circle to leave. and yes i remember your skipping episodes in sch and who knows, you might find someone in chicago who is as sane as you are to skip and dance along corridors :P oh well. i miss you loads. when you come back for holidays we must meet up ok? i have started an email plan with shu and we cld have a similar one as well..the plan goes like this: shu will email me on her friday so that i receive it on my saturday and i will reply by my monday so that she gets it by her sunday...hope u understand that part...it took me ages to figure it out myself haha...and i miss having someone doodle images of portia the pear and caesar the salad and tonnes of kitties on my lecture notes heh...they used to decorate the notes so well that when i was stressed from all the revision during prelims, i used to gaze at the cheerful images to get cheered up...oh gao yuan. i long to go back to jc. i prefer jc to the long break we had and the uni life...in jc we always saw each other and there was the reassuring protection of the school. now we are left to flounder and to fend for ourselves. i dont feel ready for this at all. sigh. part of me wants to remain young and innocent and dependant. have a good shanghai trip!- sandhya

8/27/2007 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home