Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Ah it's been rather a busy holiday so far. Have been neglecting my work and doing all sorts of other random stuff.

Started CIP at Bedok South Secondary last Thursday. We were supposed to tutor a group of about 9 students E Math. Was quite relieved at first because my class was almost all girls [except one guy]... because I thought girls were easier to teach. Keting got all the rest of the boys from my class. The first day went through Algebra. The girls were indeed rather quiet and guai1 so I managed to finish a good portion of the algebra. It's just that the algebra was quite boring and after a while they get very stoned. I do not get very stoned but I get very tired from trying [unsuccessfully] to project my voice and repeating myself several times to different people because sometimes they take a while to understand. Went to visit Ket once in her class, and although she says her class is much noisier and all [the guys are constantly talking or playing hand held games], they seem more open and friendly. Hmm I suppose it's the difference between guys and girls. My students are mostly quiet and some are really very hardworking. But there's a sort of distance between me and them. And sometimes when I walk towards them they'll hide their papers with this very defensive look, or whisper to each other with this very strange look as well. Gah. I take very long to warm up to people, especially if people are refusing to warm up to me.

On Friday I was really efficient and finished all my leftover Algebra, and did a few Mensuration questions too. Haha. Felt quite proud of myself. ^^;; Ket was agonising because she only did 2 questions in the entire 3 hours [but the students are generally quite late in the morning so it's not her fault. Plus they always ask for break, and being nice, Ket gives in to them]. Haha but I still envied her a little because her students really seem to like her and enjoy her lessons. I suppose I can't really teach people because I confuse them easily and take very long to get things across. And I get so stressed and anxious [because I really want to help them and make sure they understand] that I become very un-nice. [Oh, one student said to me at the end of the class "t'Cher, I bet you have no social life". I was amused and asked him what he considered social life. And he replied "Cher, do you go clubbing?" And I was like 0_o "NO." So I suppose by his definitions he was right and I have no social life. Ok that was very random. ^^;;]

On Monday it was my turn to agonise because I only did 6 questions! Argh. And it was really tiring because half the class kept talking, so I had to repeat myself even more times because most of them couldn't catch what I'm saying. >_< [Generally I end up very tired after CIP in the morning and end up taking a really long nap in the afternoon.] Ket was very efficient that day and her students were rather cooperative. She managed to finish all her Algebra stuff! Whee. And some of her students were asking for more questions to be gone through la. [My students are generally extremely intent on going home by 12pm. Heh]

Despite feeling rather tired we went to buy lollipops and chips for our students since yesterday was the last session. Went home and wrote notes to all of them too. The last day was quite nice. I think we're all getting rather used to each other so they seemed more cooperative and friendly than before, and I was no longer getting all stressed and frustrated when they talked or refused to listen. Heh I think they liked our notes and things! Whee. ^^ I wish I were closer to my students though. I do know them individually because they are all very different and all, but not enough to come very close to them or to have them chat very freely with me. *sighs* Ket and I signed up for the night classes though, hopefully we'll be able to help them out more by tutoring them more regularly.

Hmm so it's been an interesting experience. I have learnt that I really cannot teach people because I will simply confuse them. It's also been quite an experience simply because my students are such different people from the people I usually meet. And by different I mean their view of life and school. The way they approach their work is also different. Sometimes they seem to adopt this hopeless attitude... and give up without trying... which is really why they seem to be having problems with Math I think, and not because they are incapable of understanding or doing. On the other hand some of them really do have problems applying formula and stuff... so I guess it's both combined.

Went for band concert on Friday after CIP. Went for a movie in between and managed to get through with our plan! Heh. So interesting. [The movie was Almost Love. It's a cute and funny Korean movie. I wanted to watched Da Vinci Code actually, but it was sold out.] Walked to VCH from Centrepoint and was very tired afterwards. Band concert was pretty decent. I liked the song by the alumni. The percussion ensemble was really fun too! Heh. Well done Yi Hong! ^^ Oh oh and I discovered incriminating evidence at the band concert! Shall not point fingers at people or I will probably be scolded or murdered or both. Eheh.

Friday was also the opening of the World Cup! Whee. Parents went and subscribed to the World Cup channel... so we happily caught the opening match after getting home from the band concert. Germany beat Costa Rica by 4-2! ^^ Haha I am slightly pro-Germany. Otherwise I don't really support anyone. And I rather like Ballack but he didn't play in the opening match. However thought that Germany's defence was quite weak, though their midfield was quite good. So if they face a really strong team they may not be able to hold out. Hmm I don't know much about soccer... but it's fun to watch [both the teams and the fans too... who dress up so interestingly and create really good atmosphere. Haha]. Have watched a few of the matches so far, since I generally cannot stay up till 3am. [Even if I managed I'd have been too sleepy to see anything.] Felt quite sorry for Japan the other day because they were leading 1-0 all the way till the last 10 minutes all so, when Australia scored 3 goals in a really short period of time.

On Sunday night I went for Lingying bbq. There were rather few people so the food was in excess. Haha but I become very full easily during bbq so I couldn't eat much anyway. Met Xinhui there and had a very nice chat. Yay. Haven't seen her since Huang Cheng... and it was fun talking to her. I am such a terrible gossip. Oh well. Haha. And the beach is very nice and quiet and pretty at night. ^^

*sighs* So my poor revision has not been getting on at all. Gah. I wanna watch the Germany vs Poland match tonight!! But it's at 3am!! And I can't watch the replay tomorrow because I'll be out all day at [another, not the bsss] CIP!! *whines* Hmm shall think of what to do. Maybe I'll sleep at nine tonight and wake up at 3 to watch. ^^;; In the mean time I shall force myself to study. Medical Biotech, here I come! ^^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home